I Google Image searched “guilty face,” so I could post one here to reflect my guilt for being an infrequent blogger, and this one came up. You like? You think it reflects guilt? I’m not sure, but the other main option was OJ Simpson, and I just didn’t feel right about including him here comme ca.
I’ve been busy, with great things, some of which I can share and some of which I won’t, but busy, busy, busy. Here’s what I can tell you: The Cybils! I am reading reading reading for these awards. So far I have especially enjoyed Ann Angel’s RISE UP SINGING, a biography of Janis Joplin, which really captured Janis’s pain amid the achievements. And I’m loving LINCOLN’S FLYING SPIES, by Gail Jarrow, about the hot-air balloonists who spied for the Union Army! Who knew, right? Completely fascinating.
Another note of busy: the play I’m overseeing at school is in rehearsal, and I get to spend two hours every night cracking up. This play and the actors are so freakin’ funny. I feel lucky that I get to be a part of it–though it’s definitely time-consuming.
That’s pretty much all I can share about le busy. So now I’ll share 6 other random facts, just for laughs…
1) I hung out with my mentee today (she’s 12), and as usual, she completely whipped me in Skee-Ball. I don’t understand it, but she always gets some balls in the 5,000-point range. I’ll never be as good as she is.
2) Instead of paying $849 for a flight the other day (actually, I just would not have gone), I found the same flight available through Bonus Miles and instead paid just $105! Go, Bonus Miles! Thank you, US Airways! (Who ever thanks an airline?)
3) In a terrible mood and stranded in a lame town the other day, I went to the pizzaria … pizzeria…. oh, I spelled it right–and couldn’t even get a slice (no slices on Saturdays–what the–), so I ordered the cheesy bread. Turned out to be just like a pizza, with no tomato sauce. So good, and yet–I would’ve just ordered a whole pizza if I’d known, and taken it home!)
4) I can’t believe America’s Next Top Model will be over this week! Sob! I love ANTM! Who do you think will win? I think Kayla. Jane’s so outta there; Anne is too guarded (though I wish someone could communicate it to her like this), and Chelsea’s just too grim. Kayla’s got the unusual looks, pleasant demeanor, and ability to deliver. I like her muchly and hope she wins!
5) I got to speak to 20 librarians at Destinations Booksellers on Friday as part of the store reaching out to schools. It was so fun–I’m sorry, I love answering questions in front of a crowd–and they even gave me a gift certificate! I immediately bought Rex Zero the Great Pretender, by my former advisor Tim Wynne-Jones. I’m loving reading it.
6) I have an appalling number of dishes that have been sitting in the sink since–nope, I’m not going to tell you how long. (Well, okay: since Friday. I didn’t want you to think it was, like, really long.) So now I’m going to wash them.